In this lesson, we will review some techniques to get a better insight into your customers’ jobs, gains and pains.
– Google Trends
– Google Keyword Planner
– Government, World Bank, IMF data
– Research Reports
Companies should identify what are the main positive and negative things said about their company on social media.
Companies should identify what are the main requests received by customer support.
Companies should find out how their customers reach their website, and how they use it.
– Google Analytics
Data Mining refers to identifying patterns using data.
Companies should identify common patterns to better understand their customers.
Your task is to talk to your customers to gain relevant information about them.
1) For a specific customer profile, ask yourself what you want to learn
2) Build your interview
3) Conduct your interview
4) Identify patterns
1) Listen more than you talk
2) Get facts, not opinions
3) Ask “why” to uncover real motivations
4) Don’t mention your solution or prototype too early
5) Ask “Who else should I talk to?”
You need to observe your customers as closely as possible to understand what they do on a daily basis.
Use your own products and services and try to understand what would make a customer unhappy.
Working with them will help you explore and develop new ideas.
1) Consider cost, data reliability and time required before starting an experiment.
2) What customers say and what they do are two different things.
You can get more insight on what your customers want by:
– Using data
– Interviewing them
– Observing them
– Using your products yourself
– Building your products with them
– Creating experiments